Friday, February 1, 2013

Sourdough bread!

Today I am working on a batch of sourdough bread to have with dinner tonight.  Typically I try to steer clear of making white breads because they only fill you with substance, nothing with any nutritional value.  Growing up my parents NEVER EVER bought white bread, and to this day, it is my very favorite thing!  I could eat the entire loaf...(that sounds really gross, but have you ever accidentally squished one of those "wonder" loaves?  It's all air anyway!

Ok, back on track....white breads, although lacking in the nutrition department, and the most fun to make!  With only 4 ingredients, flour, water, salt and yeast, the possibilities are endless depending on how you combine them.  For today's bread, I am using my sourdough barm that I have been brewing for over a week and once the dough is mixed it has to rise for 6-7 hours.  Perfect!  Long and slow rise time will give me lots of flavor in this bread.  So I will post the finished result in a few hours!



I also thought it would be fun to share where I get all these fantastic ingredients.  When I make whole grain breads, I use only organic wheat berries that I mill into flour myself so it is super fresh and at its peak for nutrition.  If a bread needs to be sweetened I use honey or molasses.  All my ingredients are real, whole, unprocessed.  If you are looking for place to buy organic foods in bulk I would highly recommend Azurestandard.com.  That's where I go to buy either 25 or 50 lb bags of wheat berries, honey by the gallons and also some fresh produce like apples or potatoes.  If you have questions about how it works let me know!

I am also in love with the new bulk section at Cash Wise in St. Cloud.  LOTS of options plus, I like the idea of paying for my food, and not all the fancy packaging.  If anyone knows of someone locally that sells honey I would love to know about it; this by far is the most expensive ingredient that goes into my breads.

Well, the bread is rising and I will be back in a few hours with the finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment