Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Pottery Barn Inspiration

It's snowing!!!  I love sitting by the fireplace watching that fluffy snow come down.  As I was enjoying my morning coffee today I thought of a past project I could share with you all!  If you are anything like me, you love flipping through catalogs from Pottery Barn, William Sonoma, BHG looking for things that you love and can recreate at home.

So, when it came time for Matthias to move into a big boy bed, I knew exactly what I wanted to make.  I had seen a quilt in Pottery Barn Kids a while back that I loved.  It can be tricky to make a quilt for a little boy without it feeling girly.  It was simple with strong colors lined up in strips of different widths.




I picked my colors and started cutting.  Now, in my inexperience at the time, I thought 'I'll just cut strips and sew them together, no big deal'.  I was so wrong.  After 3/4 of the quilt was finished I looked at it and realized the whole thing was gradually twisting because of the way I had cut it.  So, I scratched that and started over....

Each strip is made up of squares, so what started out as a simple project ended up taking me a long time.  You learn as you go I guess!  I hand stitched this one too and Matthias uses it every night.  The bed you see is also a very special piece to me.  It was my great grandparents.  Both my mom and grandma were born in it, I used it all through school, and now Matthias uses it.  It has 2 matching dressers with a mirror and is such a special piece that I am lucky to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment