Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Birthdays, Bread and Bars (granola that is)

Today is the birthday of a very special person to me, my father in law, Mark.  Celebrating his 2nd birthday with Jesus, I know Heaven is very lucky to have him.  He had a special way of making anyone feel welcome and loved.  I can still hear him saying "Hey Liner!" when I would come over.  We laugh often at the funny jokes and stories he told and think of him daily.  Love you and miss you Mark!  I think he really would have liked these:

 Nature Valley fake outs....

Combine:
1 1/2 C whole oats, not instant
1 C steel cut oats
1/2 C oat bran
1/2 C ground flax seed (you can leave it whole if you'd like)
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1/2 C honey
1/4 C brown sugar
1/4 C oil ( I used sunflower oil)
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt

Once everything has been combined and evenly distributed, spread it onto and PARCHMENT PAPER LINED 9x13 (or so) cookie sheet.  You really do need the parchment paper, otherwise when the sugars caramelize they will stick to the pan and you will not get the bars off.  Use the bottom of a drinking glass (or any flat surface) to press and smooth the bars into the pan.

Bake for 25 minutes at 300 degrees.

As soon as they come out cut them into the sizes you want and then leave them in the pan to cool completely. They will be soft and gooey at this point but don't rush them, they need to cool completely and then you can break them apart where you have made the cuts.



(Another love of mine, antiques and all things sparkly!). I LOVE these antique salad plates I got for Christmas and can't wait to use them with my china.  I may just need to have a fancy dinner just so I can use them.  Who says Christmas and Thanksgiving are the only times to use fine china anyway?!

And here is today's bread!  I have not made this actual recipe before so we will see how it tastes tonight over dinner with some family members!


2 comments: